Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Rainy Day Games


The Knocker Boys really enjoy playing games.  El Cap and I like to play games with the knocker boys, but our patience (especially mine) can be tested when we play certain games as a family.  We have a found a few games that are a hit with the boys and the adults.  The twins and I recently learned about a new game at Classical Conversations during presentations (which is a lot like show and tell for the little ones).  It's called Hiss.  James got it for Easter.  It's a fun game of matching and making interesting snakes.  A perfect game for their age and attention spans.  Peter and Jack also join in the game - somehow they manage to make the game much more competitive when they play.



Sum Swamp is a fun math game that is knocker boy recommended.  It's a board game played with dice.  Two cubes have the numbers one through six on them and a third has plus and minus signs on them.  The boys roll the dice and either add or subtract to find out how many spaces they can move their cute little animal game pieces.  The twins use their math blocks to help them figure out the answers they don't have memorized yet.  It's a great game for practicing math or just playing for fun.

Another game that's a winner in our house is Qwirkle.  We love it - certainly fun for the whole family.  El Cap and I play this game even when the kids aren't around.  I'm the reigning queen of Qwirkle, and I'll be quite disappointed when my reign ends.  Qwirkle is fun because everyone can play on their level.  It can simply be a matching game, or it can be played as a strategy game.  This morning the boys got the game out and started keeping score.  I was so pleased to see them choose Qwirkle over Wii, and I was even more happy to see that they were keeping score correctly.  Jack said, "Whew! This is a lot of math."

I would love to know what games your kids like to play (and more importantly what games you like to play along with them).  We're always looking for new games to add to our collection.

6 comments:

emily said...

Uno is our favorite. We also like to play Yahtzee (it's our camping came). I want to start playing Milborne - just haven't gotten around to it yet. Ethan loves checkers. And I want to start playing chess with him. Do you remember Othello? I remember playing that with my brothers.

Knocker Boys said...

The boys love Uno too... it just drives me crazy playing with them because they never pay attention!! But Yahtzee is a fun game. We like that one. I had to google Milborne. And I vaguely remember Othello. We'd probably really like that one. Tell me more about Milborne.

1ramblergirl.wordpress.com said...

It's a car/road signs themed card game. I bought it last year for us to play while camping, and still haven't gotten around to refreshing my mind on the rules of it, despite the kids pleading to play (so I'm not able to give you much info yet). My cousisns, brothers, and I would play this as kids and I remember really having a lot of fun with them. We absolutely loved card games - it got pretty competative. My brothers and I would play poker and bet with pennies - we'd give them back then. I think.

Uno gets easier, I remember having bad thoughts when having to play with Noel. Do you give out poor sport awards? I've received that one a few times.

Bill said...

The Knocker Boys like to play checkers at the barber shop while waiting their turn for haircuts.

Kirsten's Cooking said...

We like Racko and Sorry.

2lilguyz said...

We like Family Business, it's not educational at all except maybe recent US History. We like castle invitation, the queens, knights and dragons are all invited to a party, and you have to figure out the seating arrangement. It's like Sudoko for boys.